Saturday, October 10, 2009

Even though...yet I will praise Him.

The sound of rain. To some, it's soothing. To others, it's refreshing. But to some, it's a sound that brings unwelcomed feelings of fear and despair. Well...that is if you are a farmer.

Over the past few weeks, the farmers of the community have been on my heart. Rain...something that is so desperately prayed for in the droughts of the summer suddenly came like a flood...literally. The precious seed that was carefully planted a few months ago and grown into a beautiful crop is now being seemingly suffocated by the rain. And yet...God knows. Even more than that...He planned this. It may be a struggle to believe it, but He is in control.

Last week, as I was listening to one of my favorite worship CDs, a song came across the speakers. It is a song that I have heard possibly twenty times, but that day it seemed as if God was speaking these lyrics with His very voice right into my own ears. A certain part stood out to me that day. And as Hillsong sang these words, I listened...captivated by God's sovereignty.

"When the oceans rise and thunders roar
I will soar with you above the storm
Father, You are king over the flood
I will be still and know you are God."


Yes, Lord. You are King over the flood. What a blessing it was to be able to sing those words. After weeks of almost continuous rain that seemed to never have an end...what hope lies ahead. For whatever the "flood" may be within our lives...divorce, financial troubles, sickness, fear, abandonment...He is King. Praise God that our circumstance do not determine His faithfulness. He is asking us to be still. To be still, dear ones, and know that He is God. (Psalm 46:10) Are you doing that today? I can from the depths of my heart be honest today and tell you that I have not been lately. I have allowed fear and doubt to consume me instead of being still before my Father. Oh, that we may truly recognize His sovereign hand over every event in our lives. For He has promised good...not evil. For He gives love...not hatred. For He works all for His glory that His name be exalted. For He always provides...at just the right time.

In Matthew 8, we read the story of Jesus' mighty hand calming a storm. His disciples were terrified...stricken with fear, doubt, and hopelessness. Yet all that our Lord did was "rebuke" the wind and waves...and all was calm.

I imagine Jesus in the middle of the "storms" in life...holding out His hand, calling us by name...asking for us to rest in Him. "Be still, Hannah. I am Your Saviour. I am in control. I alone will calm the storm...in My time. You need only be still."
"Then when you call, the Lord will answer.
'Yes, I am here'; He will quickly reply." (Is. 58:9)

Today if you have time, listen to the song posted at the bottom of this entry. Whatever the storm may be within your life, will you trust Him today? Will you trust that He is in control? And even as Habukkuk prayed these words in the midst of an unknown future, may you have the courage and faith to pray the same. Even though...yet I will praise Him.



"Even though the fig trees have no blossoms,
and there are no grapes on the vines;
even though the olive crop fails,
and the fields lie empty and barren;
even though the flocks die in the fields,
and the cattle barns are empty,
yet I will rejoice in the Lord!
I will be joyful in the God of my salvation!
The Sovereign Lord is my strength!"
Habakkuk 3:17-19


Lift up your heads, O farmers of faith. No matter what "storm" you may be facing. Praise God there is hope...even though.




"The Lord rules over the floodwaters.
The Lord reigns as king forever.
The Lord gives his people strength.
The Lord blesses them with peace."
Psalm 29:10-11

Hannah Grace








1 comment:

  1. Thanks alot Hannah. Grandpa thought it was very good and encouraging.

    ReplyDelete