Monday, December 28, 2009

Exchanging My Plans for His

Good afternoon, sweet friends of mine. Hope this gift of another day finds you doing well and living in the joy of our Father. Thanks for taking a few minutes out of your busy schedule. It would be an honor to share with you some thoughts from this heart of mine.


Plan. What a tiny word with such vast meanings and implications. I researched the different definitions of the word
plan. This was perhaps my favorite. Freedictionary.com defines plan as: "A systematic arrangement of elements or important parts; a configuration or outline: a seating plan; the plan of a story." The words systematic and outline are the two words that really stood out to me.


When viewing this small word from a technical aspect, I realized how silly I have been in viewing my life plans. This time last year, my life plan was as follows:
1. May 2010: Graduate from nursing school.
2. Summer 2010: Get married
3. Move wherever my husband and I both acquire jobs.
4. Begin my role as a Godly wife and a RN.
And when these failed to work out...my heart begin to collapse.

Here I sit today in this quaint little coffee shop: 21 years old, single, not sure where God is calling me after May 2010...is there something wrong with this picture? Absolutely not. It is right where He has called me to be..."for such a time as this." Do I always have this positive attitude? Hmm...that would be a negative. In fact, over the past week, my faithful Father has been dealing with me on this issue. Such a growing time of: seeking His divine direction, anticipating His timely answer, and resting in His sovereign will.

I have recently begun a new Bible study by Priscilla Shirer entitled: "Discerning the Voice of God." Could this study have come in my life at a better time? Oh my. Another neat tidbit about this book is that I had debated between two different studies written by Shirer before coming to the decision that this was the one I would complete first. Wow. Again, I come to the conclusion that God brought this study into my life "for such a time as this." What a God of the details!

This study focuses upon the somewhat unfamiliar book of Habakkuk. Read Habakkuk 1:2-4 if you have your Bible nearby. Perhaps you can sense this man's frustration as he desperately desires to hear from God concerning the sinfulness in Judah. Consider some difficult circumstances within your own life. Have you ever felt like Habakkuk? Have you ever asked God: "Why are you allowing this to go on? Why do you remain silent? Do you not hear me?" Strikes a cord with me.

But then, my friends, we see God in His divine time answer this distraught soul with a promise of hope in 1:5:
"Look among the nations! Observe!
Be astonished! Wonder!
Because I am doing something in your days--
You would not believe if you were told."

What a comfort! Even in God's apparent silence, He was working "behind the scenes." Shirer writes: "With these words, God gave Habakkuk spiritual vision. The prophet received encouragement to look around and observe. While Habakkuk waited on God to answer, God was already answering...Even though the prophet wasn't seeing God respond in the way and timing he expected, God was speaking and moving. He always is--even in His silence."

God is always speaking and moving...even in His silence. What an encouragement to this "planner" heart of mine.

Let's skip over to the next chapter. In Habakkuk 2:1, we see this prophet's next action. Wait for the Lord's direction, anticipating His answer.
"I will stand on my guard post and station myself on the rampart.
And I will keep watch to see what He will speak to me."
Habakkuk 2:1

This required a willing and open heart, plus a major dose of patience. And then, our faithful Father did it again. He spoke. Yet another promise of hope in 2:3:
"The vision is yet for the appointed time...Though it tarries, wait for it;
For it will certainly come, it will not delay."

Shirer focuses on this principle: "The process of waiting for a message from God is just as important as the message itself." For in that season of waiting, God is able to grow our weary and needy hearts into those molded to fulfill His perfect PLANS for our lives. Shirer brought about the principle of the guard post. She states: "The watchtower was positioned well above the group to provide a broad view for miles around. It gave the guard in the tower a different view circumstances. Habakkuk purposed to remove himself from the depression and anxiety of his ground-level circumstances and get above them. He took his eyes off his circumstances and watched only for God."

Will you purpose today to get those searching eyes off your "ground-level" circumstance. Go and climb that guard post. Listen for Almighty God's voice. How? Through prayer, meditation on His Word, and worship.
"Wait for the Lord;
Be strong, and let your heart take courage;
Yes, wait for the Lord."
Psalm 27:14

The answer may not come when you think it should, but He will never fail to provide His direction.
"The Lord is not slow about His promise..."
2 Peter 3:9

And even in times of discouragement, God does care about the details. And for a "detail-oriented" person like myself, it's even more of an encouragement to truly believe that. I leave you today with one last bit of encouragement.

A few days ago, I walked into Barnes and Noble. I got my coffee and decided to head to the nursing section of the store. The nearing decisions regarding my future were heavy on my heart, and I was hoping to find some books on different types of nursing and possible hospitals to consider. Deep inside I wanted to avoid the thought of making such important and difficult decisions. Yet, I knew the time had come. As I walked in front of the tall, white bookcase, a blue book caught my eye. I read the title, looked up...and smiled. For in front of me was not a nursing book but a inspirational journal that someone had "randomly" placed upon the shelf. The title read, "Dear God, I need to talk to you." Inside...page after page...I read one encouraging verse after another. All words pointed me towards a faithful God who cared about my future. Coincidence some may say. But in my heart, I did not consider it a random literary misplacement. I considered it a divine appointment with my Almighty God, Who is concerned with the details. He truly cares. He will give us divine direction in each and every area of our lives.

Don't run because of difficult circumstances, sweet one of God. Don't collapse in your weary search for direction. Don't become discouraged in what appears to be silence from the Father. Get up on the watchtower. Listen for that still, small voice. Spend time with the One Who loves you far more than you could ever comprehend. Be still and listen. He's moving and speaking...even now.

"Call to Me, and I will answer you,
and I will tell you great and mighty things,
which you do not know."
Jeremiah 33:3

Amen? Talk with Him. Be encouraged, follower of God. Blessings to you.

Hannah Grace








No comments:

Post a Comment