Sunday, May 31, 2009

The Freedom in Surrender

"If you cling to your life, you will lose it; But if you give it up for Me, you will find it." Matthew 10:39
What a powerful portion of God's Word. Losing your life....but finding it in Him. The many times that I have read and heard this verse, it has made me think of persecution or the actual losing of my life for Christ's name. When doing my Bible study this week, Nancy Guthrie shed a whole new light on this well-known verse. It blessed my heart.

There are specific dreams, aspirations, hopes, and desires that we each carry within this life. We make plans, we dream dreams, and we eagerly wait with anticipation those things for which we long. And then sometimes the waiting gets long.......disappointment sets in....discouragment follows. Sound familiar?
For most people, it is perhaps very familiar. Waiting is hard. Surrendering those ambitions is difficult.

Guthrie writes: "Jesus calls us to abandon our own agendas, what we have deemed will please and fulfill us, so that we can embrace the kind and quality of life that only He gives. This is about making Jesus our life. This is about putting our plans for our lives to death so that the abundant life He offers has room to take root and grow."

When I read that.....wow. "Amen." I prayed. I had never before thought of it in that way. By putting those plans and desires to death, I would be able to live the abundant life that God has planned for me. Giving up those plans and dreams that I have made for myself does not necessarily mean that I will never receive them. Giving them fully to the Lord means that He can instill within me the life that He has planned for me and, therefore, shape me into the woman of God that He has created me to be.
"Those who are sailing through a comfortable life at this point have not yet been forced to carefully consider their lives and surrender their dreams. But because you have been shaken to the core, you see clearly that if you cling to your own plans and desires, you will never discover the freedom and joy found in losing your life for Jesus." Nancy Guthrie

Do you feel as if you have been "shaken to the core"? Have you come to the place of surrendering those desires at Jesus' feet...knowing that He will do what is best in His perfect plan and in His perfect timing?

I feel that in order to sincerely do what Guthrie speaks about, we must have "eyes of faith." I am currently reading a book called "Lady in Waiting." One of my college roommates suggested that I read it, and my goodness is it ever encouraging! Inspired from the book of Ruth, this book speaks of certain qualities that a woman should seek in order to be a Godly wife for her future husband. One of these qualities is faith. The love story of Ruth and Boaz was referenced within the chapter. Many of you may be familiar with this story. One of my favorite concepts in this story is the faith that Ruth displayed. In man's eyes, it only seemed logical for Ruth to move back to her homeland after her husband's death. In man's eyes, that would be the only way that she would ever be given the gift of marriage. Yet, Ruth chose to live with the "eyes of faith" and stay with Naomi , serving the one true God. This act, in essence, was almost as if Ruth was possibly giving up the desire to ever be married again. She surrendered it. Her decision was not based on circumstances...but the Sovereign God Who was in control of cirumstances. As we know from God's Word, this act of faith would eventually result in the gift of a Godly husband. God rewarded her faith by giving her a husband, Boaz.

"Faith does not eliminate questions. But faith knows where to take them." Elizabeth Elliot

Isn't that true? It is difficult, I speak for myself, to lay those precious desires down at my Lord's feet. It can be difficult to "lose that life," for it is sometimes easier to cling to it. We feel more in control. Yet, it is when we fully surrender, that Jesus promises a joy and peace that follow. We can experience freedom, knowing that His way is perfect. He has provided direction. He has a plan. Are you thankful for that, dear one? He has a plan. He is in control. May you be encouraged that He is faithful.

"God's way is perfect. All the Lord's promises prove true. He is a shield
for all who look to Him for protection.
For who is God except the Lord? Who but our God is a solid Rock?
God arms me with strength, and He makes my way perfect."
Psalm 18:30

We sang the song, "Jesus, All for Jesus" in church this morning. A portion of this song reads: "All of my ambitions, hopes and plans I surrender these into Your hands. For it's only in Your will that I am free." Yes, it is only in His will that I am free. And what line comes before? I "surrender these into Your hands." With surrender.....comes freedom. Lose your life....you will find it in Christ. Surrender your dreams....you will find freedom in Christ. Precious ones of God, may you find hope today in the promises of God. He has not forgotten you. He has not forgotten your circumstances. May you walk with "eyes of faith," knowing that He is sovereign, and He is in control.

"But I am trusting You, O Lord, saying:
'You are my God!
My future is in Your hands."
Psalm 31: 14-15
Hannah Grace

1 comment:

  1. Hannah Grace:

    I'm so glad what I've written has been meaningful to you. What an incredible it is to die to ourselves—a life-long longing and journey.

    ReplyDelete