Saturday, May 9, 2009

What Will They Say of Me?

Saturday mornings are the time to run errands. I look forward to it every week. Special time with my mom and a relaxing morning. It is something that I will definitely miss one day.

This morning we passed by a small church, who was obviously trying to pack in more vehicles than it had room for. I mean....cars everywhere. At first, my thought was: "Only in Mississippi." My second thought: "Oh fun. Someone must be getting married today." Then, I proceeded to see a hearse, followed by a very long procession. And as I sat there waiting on the cars to file in, wondering where on earth they were going to fit everyone, I began to think....wow, this is sad. Young and old came out to mourn the death of a loved one. Death....it can be viewed as such a painful and sorrowful idea. I watched the crowd as they walked into the church. Some had solemn dispositions, but then I saw a woman smiling. She had such a peaceful and joyous countenance. Then I thought...this is such a beautiful sight. I had no idea what kind of life this person lived. As believers, death brings such a hope and the promise of eternal life. Not that we have to go around constantly smiling at loved one's funeral. It is okay to mourn. But, the hope that we have following a believer's death. Jesus overcame the power of death, so that we might have eternal life!

That life picture made me think of the passage in the Bible which says: “Death is swallowed up in victory. 'O Death, where is your sting? O Hades, where is your victory?'” 1 Corinthians 15:54b-55. And then in verse 57: "But thank God! He gives us victory over sin and death through our Lord Jesus Christ." (NLT) The death of a believer is really a celebration. Because of Jesus' sacrifice, we have hope...even in midst of such sorrow and pain that death can bring. Praise God! Isn't that a comfort to know there's hope? Oh, how I wish all believed.

So this got me to thinking: "What are people going to remember about me when it's my funeral?" I know that I want it to a big celebration! I want the things that I did in my life to make a difference. I want my life to be a testimony.

Mom, Heidi, and I are singing on Sunday night for Mother's Day. When we were listening to the CD with our song on it, another song caught my attention. Such wonderful words and exactly what life is all about. Thought I would post the song for you to be encouraged.

When It's All Been Said and Done: Don Moen
When it's all been said and done
There is just one thing that matters
Did I do my best to live for truth?
Did I live my life for you?
When it's all been said and done
All my treasures will mean nothing
Only what I have done
For love's rewards
Will stand the test of time
Lord, your mercy is so great
That you look beyond our weakness
That you found purest gold in miry clay
Turning sinners into saints
I will always sing your praise
Here on earth and in heaven after
For you've joined me at my true home
When it's all been said and done
You're my life when life is gone.
"You're my life when life is gone." I love that! Praise God that through His love, He overcame the power of death. We have hope, lasting hope, and a peace amidst the sorrow of death. Live in that hope, knowing that though this life will end.....there awaits and even glorious one.
Hannah Grace

2 comments:

  1. My dad would have LOVED this post! I loved it too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What is so sad is that I think this would have been the young man (22 or 24?) who was shot at a tavern brawl. How wonderful to know the HOPE we have as Christians, the security we have in Christ. Thanks for your posts.

    I agree with Janelle's post above!

    ReplyDelete