Monday, July 27, 2009

In the Hands of My Great Potter


The unknown. Am I the only one that sometimes finds this phrase absolutely frightening? Oh, how patient the Lord is with this heart of mine. At moments it seems as if trust flows freely inside my being. Other times it feels as if I'm drowning in anxiety and fear of that unknown future.
I sit here today ashamed at myself and my heart attitude. Over the past week, it seems as if I am constantly struggling to fully lay my future on the altar. It is truly difficult to surrender those "life plans" of which I have made for myself. It is a daily committment...a daily "letting go." Today I was given a special reminder by my Lord Jesus, a reminder that even though my heart attitude wavers, He never loses control.

This morning I flipped in my Bible to the book of Jeremiah. In chapter 18, I read these anointed words, a message from the Lord given to Jeremiah:

"The Lord gave another message to Jeremiah. He said, 'Go down to the potter’s shop, and I will speak to you there.' So I did as he told me and found the potter working at his wheel. But the jar he was making did not turn out as he had hoped, so he crushed it into a lump of clay again and started over. Then the Lord gave me this message: 'O Israel, can I not do to you as this potter has done to his clay? As the clay is in the potter’s hand, so are you in my hand.'"

Jeremiah 18:1-6

First off, I love Jeremiah's obedience. I wonder if he was puzzled about the place of which God desired to speak to him. A potter's shop? Wouldn't a mountaintop or even a quiet stream be a more appropriate setting for such a conversation? But no, Jeremiah obeyed with no question. I am blessed by the picture God spoke to him...that of a potter and his clay. I love the image of God forming us into exactly what He desires. I am also encouraged by this portion of this scripture which claims the Father's ownership over the lives of His own: "You are in my hand." (v. 6)

Within the margins next to these powerful verses, another "potter and clay" portion of scripture in Isaiah was referenced.

"What sorrow awaits those who argue with their Creator. Does a clay pot argue with its maker? Does the clay dispute with the one who shapes it, saying,‘Stop, you’re doing it wrong!’ Does the pot exclaim, ‘How clumsy can you be?’

How terrible it would be if a newborn baby said to its father,‘Why was I born?’ or if it said to its mother, ‘Why did you make me this way?’
This is what the Lord says—the Holy One of Israel and your Creator:

Do you question what I do for my children? Do you give me orders about the work of my hands?"


Isaiah 45:9-11

Goodness...this passage really "stepped on my toes." And even though it was not warmly welcomed, the reality of my human nature came to light. For who am I to question my Creator? For, in essence, my lack of trust in Him is almost as if I am saying: "Do You really know what You are doing? Maybe I should help because things sure seem to be out of control." It was after I read these verses that my heart was broken. "Oh God," I prayed, "That's not how I want it to be. I'm so sorry. I want to truly trust You."

Perhaps it is that we feel as if time is running out. The plans we have made for ourselves should be panning out. Yet, for some reason, God has called us to wait. And as I lay those plans on the altar and truly choose to live by faith in my Savior, the great Potter shapes this 'ol lump of clay into something beautiful. He shapes me into exactly what He desires that I be, for He knows what is best. Who am I to question His workings?

Waiting+the unknown= panic, fear, anxiety, discouragement----> Waiting+the unknown+daily trust in our Potter=peace, contentment, rest, and joy.

Today as I sat down at the piano, my eyes fell upon a hymn of which I had never heard before. And even though I had absolutely no idea of the tune, I sang these words to my Potter.


"Have Faith in God" by BB McKinney


Have faith in God when you pathway is lonely
He sees and knows all the way you have trod
Never alone are the least of His children
Have faith in God, have faith in God

Chorus: Have faith in God, Hes on His throne
Have faith in God, He watches oer his own
He cannont fail, He must prevail
Have faith in God, have faith in God


Have faith in God when you pray'rs are unanswered
Your earnest plea He will never forget
Wait on the Lord, trust His Word and be patient
Have faith in God, He'll answer yet

Have faith in God in your pain and your sorrow
His heart is touched with your grief and despair
Cast all your cares and your burdens upon Him
And leave them there, oh, leave them there
Have faith in God tho' all else fail about you
Have faith in God He provides for His own
He cannot fail tho' all kingdoms shall perish
He rules He reigns upon His throne

Surrender to the Potter, you precious lump of clay. Be obedient, just as Jeremiah was. For in His great timing, Almighty God will make something beautiful out of your surrender. For who are we to question our Creator? He is forever in control.

"For since the world began, no ear has heard, and no eye has seen a God like you, who works for those who wait for him!"

Isaiah 64:4


"I have cared for you since you were born.Yes, I carried you before you were born. I will be your God throughout your lifetime—until your hair is white with age. I made you, and I will care for you. I will carry you along and save you."

Isaiah 46:3b-4


Hannah Grace

1 comment:

  1. Jeremiah 29:11
    'For I know the plans that I have for you,' declares the Lord, 'plans for welfare and not for calamity to give you a future and a hope.'

    God is able to do exceedingly and abundantly above all we can think or ask. Rest in His promises and loving care.

    ReplyDelete