Saturday, July 25, 2009

Nothing Can Separate Us From His Love

It seems as if there has suddenly been a whirlwind of death. Several families that I know of, including my own, have recently suffered the loss of loved ones. Such a difficult thing. And while we rejoice with those who believed and are now in the presence of Jesus, how hard it is to imagine life without them.

After losing both of my great grandmothers, almost exactly a month apart, the reality of death has brushed my heart. But as sat during both of these funerals, I began to think of what hope we have...even in something portrayed as hopeless such as a death. As I saw the casket, the flowers, the tombstone, the evidence of such utter loss...somehow peace was displayed. Somehow....hope shone through. For in each of these deaths, God was glorified.

As I said goodbye to both of these Godly women, their lifeless bodies and their countenance of peace gave me hope. For what can separate me from God's love? No, nothing. Not even death. Because of the precious price that Jesus paid on the cross, we can have life....even in death. This scripture was constantly going through my head at each funeral:

“'Death is swallowed up in victory, O death, where is your victory
O death, where is your sting?' For sin is the sting that results in death, and the law gives sin its power. But thank God! He gives us victory over sin and death through our Lord Jesus Christ."
1 Corinthians 15:54b-57

Praise God that we have hope in the face of death! It was such a beautiful reminder to me that we as believers can rest in the fact that nothing separates us from the Lord. We have victory in Christ Jesus. Another passage that is a comfort is found in Romans 8:35-39:

"Can anything ever separate us from Christ’s love? Does it mean he no longer loves us if we have trouble or calamity, or are persecuted, or hungry, or destitute, or in danger, or threatened with death? (As the Scriptures say, 'For your sake we are killed every day; we are being slaughtered like sheep. No, despite all these things, overwhelming victory is ours through Christ, who loved us.

And I am convinced that nothing can ever separate us from God’s love. Neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither our fears for today nor our worries about tomorrow—not even the powers of hell can separate us from God’s love. No power in the sky above or in the earth below—indeed, nothing in all creation will ever be able to separate us from the love of God that is revealed in Christ Jesus our Lord."

Amen. It is sometimes a tendency in my life to fret over the future that lies ahead. For many times I fear the unknown road ahead. The great reminder that God has given me over the course of this month is that no matter what lies ahead...nothing will separate me from His great love. As I am given days on this earth, may I truly live in the hope that He so freely offers. May I rest in the fact that neither illness, nor darkness, nor failure, nor pain, nor loneliness, nor discouragement, no nothing......can remove me from the all-surpassing, ever-present, awesome power of my Lord God and Savior Jesus Christ.

A few weeks ago, I was in Lifeway and purchased a worship cd by Travis Cottrell. Almost every time that I hear this song, I get chills. I've posted a link to this song at the end of the entry. I hope these words encourage you today. For nothing can separate me/you/us from the love of our Father. And each day that we are given breath, may we truly trust that He is in control. He has conquered the grave, given us victory over death, offered life everlasting, and has already provided hope for each day to come. Be blessed in His promises, my friend.

My Rhapsody Playlist




Hannah Grace



No comments:

Post a Comment